3/4 of a 16 ounce package of spaghetti or linguine
2 cups broccoli cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive or salad oil
1 12 ounce package mushrooms cut in half
1 small onion, minced
1 small carrot cut into match stick thin strips
1 small red pepper cut into thin strips (can use green)
1 12 ounce can evaporated skim milk
2 teaspoons chicken-flavored instant bouillon
1 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium tomato seeded and diced
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley
About 40 minutes before serving:
1. In sauce pot, prepare spaghetti as label directs: drain. Return to sauce pot; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan over high heat, in 1 inch boiling water, heat broccoli pieces to boiling. reduce heat to low: cover and simmer 3 minutes, or until broccoli is tender crisp: drain.
3. While broccoli is cooking, in a twelve inch skillet over high heat, in hot oil, cook mushrooms, onion, and carrots, stirring often, until vegetables are golden and tender crisp. Add pepper strips and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
4. In a 2 cup measuring cup, with a fork, mix milk, bouillon, cornstarch, and salt.
5. Into vegetable mixture in skillet stir in milk mixture. Over high heat to boiling, boil one minute. Add tomatoes, cheese parsley, broccoli, and spaghetti, tossing to coat well; heat through.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.